How To Take Advantage Of A Career Fair?
Are you looking for a job?
Attending job fairs allows direct access to employers and getting valuable information for the job search. The fairs facilitate your job search, contacting you directly with the human resources professionals of companies specialized in talent search and companies that want to expand their workforce. These types of events are a good way to find job opportunities for anyone, including students who are about to finish their studies and for those who want a professional career change.
Some benefits of participating in job fairs:
- Opportunity to build relationships with professionals from companies that are not always easily accessible. The fairs are a quick way to establish contacts as they allow skipping existing protocols or filters in some companies, especially large ones.
- More direct contact with recruiters, who in addition to receiving resumes, can provide valuable information about the companies they represent including the positions they need to fill and what they value most when hiring staff.
- Know what the real needs of the labor market are. Attend workshops and career guidance courses organized by the Columbus Hispanic Chamber of Commerce and La Mega Media to learn how to get the most out of the professional opportunities including building an effective resume and preparing for an interview.
During your visit to the Job Fair
In the previous blog, some tips were shared on how to prepare for the Job Fair, but it's important to know what to do during the fair on the recommendations during it. Professional counselors advise that you have to prepare in advance to make the most of the fair. Here are some recommendations:
- Make yourself known: talk, listen and ask. Whenever you have the opportunity, you must put into practice the elevator-pitch (idea with few sentences sharing who you are, what you are looking for and your experience) previously prepared, as well as listen to the answers or comments of other candidates.
- Networking with event attendees can be useful, given that people who attend this type of fairs share similar situations, it's useful to share information that can be helpful for the job search process.
- Ask for the recruiters business card of your interest. Contact them via email or LinkedIn to thank for the attention and ask for the possibility of arranging an interview. The objective is to try to build a relationship with the companies that interest you, this way it will be easier to leave a mark and remember you when having an job opening opportunity of your interest.
Some of the companies that will be participating in the next Job Fair are:
- Nationwide Insurance
- Acloché Staffing
- Cass Information Systems, Inc
- Chase Bank
- Western & Southern Life
- Capital Axe Throwing
- Reliable Stafffing Resources
- Ohio Steel Industries
- Grass Groomers
- SS Bendure Hartwig
- Reitter Stucco & Supply